Monday, July 14, 2008

Desert Waters...

The desert... and water. Or lack thereof. Either way you get to view a few desert images. A Desert Rat's delight. At least I think so.







Living in the desert makes me appreciate the little things. Bugs, flowers, and just the fragile world around us. Here are some of my favorite images that evoke an emotion from the world around me here in Arizona. Living in the desert also makes me appreciate clean drinking water and air conditioning. ;)

















Some of these photos were shot with an extension tube set I have for my Nikon gear. Just about all of them were shot using a tripod for steadiness. You have to look close at some of the shots as there are some surprises. One of my favorite is the Saguaro with the Prickly Pear growing out of it about half way up. Kind of cool how nature seems to be able to get along in the right conditions. Even in the desert.











Some will say that a desert lacks life and color. I would have to disagree. I have spent many years in various deserts and each one is full of life. Sometimes you have to look a little closer. The rains will bring almost immediate life to what before seemed parched and dry. All you have to do is stick around long enough to see it.









Don't get me wrong. The desert can be a desolate place to be. Without cleansing rain the plants, animals, and all seem to wither and die. Too much rain can wash away the soil and destory the plants, also affecting the wildlife and other critters that live there. I look at it as a type of balancing act that has been going on for ages.













Desert Waters Correctional Outreach is the name of an organization that helps out Correctional Officers and their families. I have worked with the folks that run it and they are incredibly caring and insightful folks. http://www.desertwaters.com/ is the website. I still continue to work with them as much as possible since they are still Colorado. Of course I am kind of partial to the folks that they help. We could all use some cleansing rain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you know, I've lived in the desert all of my life. Every time I really LOOK at it, I can see how it was once covered with water. The desert plant life is so reminiscent of oceanic plant life. Your pictures are very beautiful. Keep on posting!!!

Anonymous said...

These are LOVELY.
C.G.S-T.

Anonymous said...

Buenos Noches,

Just cruisin' back through some of your posts. Always a delight. You have quite and eye for the desert.

With your permission, I would like to post a link to your blog over at my blog. My blog is not on any public listing and my traffic is light. I believe my readers would be very interested in your posts.

Thanks for your consideration!

Con regard,

Athena

TCB Photo Blog said...

Thanks to all for the comments.