Monday, June 3, 2013

Kartchner Caverns State Park 2013



Kartchner Caverns State Park 2013





I have been on a boycott against Kartchner Caverns State Park since we returned to Arizona.  My issue was simple.  They do not allow photography.  My letters and e-mails were responded to, but never really answered why this policy was in place.  I always stated I would be glad to pay extra for a photo tour.  My wish was granted when I saw a post on Facebook by the Friends of Kartchner Caverns State Park earlier this year.  They were offering a three hour tour for photographers.




There were two spaces left for the photo tour.  I was able to get in touch with the great folks there and arranged payment.  We headed on over to the cave, signed forms agreeing not to sell the images for commercial use, and entered the cave with a group of photographers carrying much more gear than we had or needed.



Kartchner Caverns State Park


“Experience a stunning limestone cave in Southeastern Arizona that boasts world-class features. This “live” cave, discovered in 1974, is host to a wide variety of unique minerals and formations. Water percolates from the surface and calcite formations continue to grow, including stalactites dripping down like icicles and giant stalagmites reaching up from the ground. Tour guides will unveil this fascinating underground landscape during a memorable 1½ hour tour.”






Photo by T.C. Brown. Copyright Arizona State Parks
Friends of Kartchner Caverns State Park


“Our mission is to partner with the community and provide resources to advocate for and ensure the continued preservation of Kartchner Caverns through education and public awareness.”



“The vision of FKCSP is to be the model to follow in the active support of cave research, preservation, appreciation, and education in the preservation of a living cave.”








“Kartchner Caverns State Park is a state park of Arizona, United States, featuring a show cave with 2.4 miles of passages. The park is located 9 miles south of the town of Benson and west of the north-flowing San Pedro River.”  Wikipedia



Check out Arizona Entertainment Magazine for more info





One of the Rangers on the photo tour in Kartchner told me that the reason for the policy was to keep photographers from damaging the formations with their bodies or equipment.  That and they slowed down the groups while setting up for their shots.  I am certain that there is some financial consideration as well.



I have to admit I was more than a little surprised when several photographers showed up for the tour with camera bags over their shoulders.  I was even more surprised with the photographers that brought along every piece of equipment in large rolling cases, some even asking if there were electrical connections in the cave to charge or power their equipment.  WTH?!  I must be doing it wrong with only taking one camera body, one lens, and an extra battery.  No wonder the folks have to implement policies to protect the formations. 


I have taken photographs in several caves around the United States and on Okinawa.  I have never had an issue with slowing up the group or needing a bunch of equipment to get the shot.  I try to hang out near the back of the group, sometimes jockeying with other photogs as we capture images on various tours, and get my shots as the group moves along.  I never really wanted to get left behind in a dark cave, especially if it was the last tour of the day!  


I will continue my quest for capturing images underground whenever possible on our adventures and then sharing them on my blog.  There are plenty more caves and caverns to check off my list in the United States and abroad.  I will probably end up back in Kartchner on a future photography tour.  I just won’t go with the regular tour that doesn’t allow photography.  Maybe more of the photo tours will be offered in other areas of the cavern.  I can hope that is the case.  We had a great time exploring the cavern.


The tour itself was fantastic.  Great formations, colors, and easy to access made for a pleasurable adventure.  I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in caves or caverns.  You will see some really cool stuff there!






Thanks to the folks at Friends of Kartchner for the opportunity and to the Park Rangers that made the experience unique and educational.  You, the viewers, can all decide if the images I captured are good, bad or ugly…  Check out the links for more information and feel free to post a comment at the end.  Hope you enjoy viewing the images.






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great colors, awesome formations, wonderful photos and all around good stuff. Some wacky and wonderful stuff sure goes on underground!! The photo with the formations casting shadows is really cool.

Joellen

TCB Photo Blog said...

Thanks Jo!

Anonymous said...

TC, I can't believe how beautiful your pictures are!! Thank you so much for sharing these with us...Gretchen from the Friends of Kartchner Caverns!

TCB Photo Blog said...

Thanks Gretchen.

Anonymous said...

Once again, you two have hit the jackpot. Thank you so much for preserving for me the beautiful experience that we have had several times as we shared the beauty with friends. It took a few years before we got into the Big Room since we are usually down there in the summer...when the bats have the priority. I am so glad to be on your blog list. The Friends should appreciate your wonderful eye for the unique and talent in capturing it forever. Blessings, Mary Lynn :-)

TCB Photo Blog said...

Thanks much Mary Lynn!